Monday, December 30, 2013

The Divine Fruit | Persimmons




Persimmon is a fruit of Chinese origin which is best eaten when ripe as it tastes very bitter when it's not ripe. It has a high glucose content which is why it's very sweet and somewhat tastes like a ripe mango. I came across to this fruit at our local grocery store but they sell each fruit for almost $2! I mean...that is so not right! Well, my husband was ecstatic when he found it at the grocery because he knows how good it is and they do have a persimmon tree right at their backyard.

So, since I haven't tried them yet, I was curious and I really want to try them too. Nope, I didn't buy the $2 ones but thankfully I found these at an Asian market for 0.99 cents each! I wasn't sure if the peels are edible but I peeled them off anyway.


If you cut them across, you will see a nice core like this in the picture above. But you can cut them into any way you desire. When my mom-in-law came over, she told me that she used to make dehydrated persimmons for her horse back riding snacks. They make a really good candy-like treat but a healthy one. I'm not sure what else you can do with this fruit but I'm pretty sure some people have already created something like a pie or used in salads. 

Have a great Monday everyone! xox




No comments:

Post a Comment