Tuesday, December 10, 2013

Yema Cake Delish



One of my favorite things to do when I'm bored is baking. I love cakes and basically anything dessert. Every time I bake, I always wish I could eat everything but since I'm that conscious about my weight, I tend to forcefully eat just a little of it. Despite of the dieting frenzy, it never stopped me from baking. 



There's this cake you can find in every bakery in the Philippines called Chiffon Cake. I mentioned it to my hubby long time ago and he wasn't aware of such kind. I guess in America, their counterpart is perhaps the Angel Cake (not sure though). Anyway, since I'm craving for some, I decided to look online for recipes. I found one that is frosted with Yema or simply a custard type of frosting made out of condensed milk and egg yolks. It tastes divine and it's not the usual super sweet frosting that you get from cakes at the grocery. It is creamy, sweet and very deliciouso! 



I find it tedious to make the cake since you're making a separate mixtures to form that foamy texture. I don't mind especially when I think about how its going to ease my craving. By the way, the recipe I used to bake the cake shown in the picture above isn't mine . It was posted on Pinterest and now I don't know where I copied it. But if you want a different recipe or different approach on how to prepare this cake, there are lots of recipes out there...just google it! :) 


(CHIFFON) YEMA CAKE RECIPE:


Ingredients :


2 1/4 cups cake flour
1 1/2 cups granulated sugar
1 tablespoon baking powder
1 teaspoon salt
3/4 cup cold water
1/2 cup canola oil
5 pieces raw eggs, separated
1 tablespoon vanilla extract
1/2 teaspoon cream of tartar

Cooking Procedures :

  1. Preheat oven to 325°F.  Prepare 10-inch ungreased tube pan.
  2. Sift together the flour, sugar, baking powder and salt in a bowl.
  3. Make a well at the center and add oil, egg yolks, water and vanilla.  Beat until smooth and no lumps occur.  Set aside.
  4. Using a stand mixer or electric hand mixer, beat egg whites until frothy.  Add the cream of tartar.  Continue to beat on high until soft peaks begin to form.  Add sugar very gradually and continuously beating until meringue is glossy and stiff.
  5. Gently fold the egg yolk mixture into the meringue until well blended, ensuring that you scrap the bottom of the bowl as you fold.
  6. Pour into prepared un-greased tube pan.
  7. Bake until golden and middle springs back when touched for about 35 minutes.
  8. Invert onto the neck of a bottle.
  9. Cool completely upside down.


For the custard topping, blend together in a small saucepan: 

1 can sweetened condensed milk 
6egg yolks 
1 tsp vanilla 
Half can Evap milk
4 tbsp butter


In a saucepan, combine all together and keep stirring while cooking. It's up to you if you want your topping runny or not. I kept it longer on heat and I end up having a lot stiffer than I'd prefer but if I ever do it again, I'd stop when I feel it's spreadable enough. I think it's better when the frosting is a bit runny but not too runny. I hope you get what I mean. :) 


Have a glamorously simple Foodie Tuesday! xox 



No comments:

Post a Comment